Erebus Academy’s Jobe Stewart has secured his second podium at Perth after claiming pole position in the morning’s Super3 qualifying session. 

Meanwhile, Super2 drivers Jay Hanson and Jack Perkins both managed to work their way through the field to gain nine positions between them. 

While Jay and Jack sat further on the grid than Jobe in P11 and P15 respectively, both drivers got good starts and were able to each claim a position by the end of the opening lap. 

The following lap proved even more successful for Jay who gained two more laps, while Jack claimed another position to hold P13.

Lap 16 saw the first Safety Car deployed after a rogue wheel flew off Ryan Gilroy’s car. Jobe continued to hold P1 behind the Safety Car while Jay and Jack slotted into formation P8 and P13.

On the restart, a risky move by Zac Bates saw Brad Vaughan punted off into the wall causing the second Safety Car of the race. 

Fortunately, the Super2 duo managed to avoid the drama and each benefitted by the pit lane penalty handed to Bates with Jay now up to P6 and Jack in P11 where they remained until the flag was waved. 

Meanwhile Jobe, who had been leading his category for the entire race, was passed by Cameron McLeod on the penultimate lap which resulted in him crossing the line P2. 

After Race 2 Jobe said, “We were pretty disappointed after qualifying yesterday so to go out today and back up yesterday’s win with a pole today was really good. Plus it was my first pole of the Super3 season so that was great. I was mixing it with some of the Super2 cars in today’s race but just lacked a bit of pace in the final couple of laps so finished P2 but that meant I was second for the weekend and bagged a good amount of points for our Championship.”

Jay added, “We struggled in qualifying today so we knew we’d have to work hard to get a good result. We had a pretty decent race car so it was important to salvage as many points as we could for our Championship. We’re still sitting P4 in the Championship and have closed the gap to the leader so we’re still making gains.”

Jack concluded, “It was a really, really tough weekend. Unfortunately for us, we weren’t able to show the speed we had in Newcastle. We all tried really hard to improve the car and we did make small improvements across the weekend but unfortunately we just weren’t up the front of the field but we’re looking towards Townsville now.”

The Erebus Academy drivers now have a nine week break before they commence Round 3 at the Townsville SuperSprint, 7 – 9 July.